By Lily Houston
A warning to holiday home owners has been released by Kent Police after 14 burglaries and attempted burglaries have been reported in the area this month.
Items reported stolen include alcohol, jewellery and electrical goods. Officers are carrying out a number of enquiries to identify witnesses and are also looking at potential CCTV and forensic opportunities.
Investigating officer Detective Sergeant Clive Horne said: “Work is ongoing to ascertain whether any of the reports may be linked.
“Some of the properties targeted are holiday homes, which tend to be empty at this time of year.
“We would ask people with holiday homes to arrange for someone to make regular checks on any property they might be leaving unoccupied for a time.
“Burglars tend to be opportunists, so also consider removing any valuable items and ensure you look at whether there are any security measures you could introduce to reduce the risk of becoming a victim of crime.
“Officers will be carrying out enquiries in the area, but we also ask that residents remain vigilant, and if they see anything suspicious, report it on 101 or 999 if a crime is in progress.”
- An attempted burglary in Park Crescent Road in Margate between 27 December and 11.30pm on 11 January.
- A burglary between 8am on 4 January and 1.30pm on 9 January in Crescent Road, Broadstairs.
- An attempted burglary between midday on 7 January and 1.30pm on 9 January in Eastern Esplanade, Cliftonville.
- A burglary between midday on 8 January and midday on 16 January in The Ridings, Cliftonville.
- A burglary between 5.15pm and 6.15pm on 12 January in Avenue Gardens, Margate.
- A burglary in Stone Road, Broadstairs between 10.45pm on 13 January and 6.35am on 14 January.
- An attempted burglary in Lindenthorpe Road in Broadstairs between 11pm on 13 January and 10am the following day.
- A burglary between 1pm on 14 January and 3.40am on 17 January in West Park Avenue, Margate.
- A burglary between 12.30pm and 8.20pm on 15 January in Gloucester Avenue in Cliftonville.
- A burglary in Foreness Close, Broadstairs between 4pm on 15 January and 8.30am the following day.
- A burglary in Eastern Esplanade, Broadstairs between 5pm on 16 January and 7am on 18 January.
- A burglary in Old Green Road, Margate between 9.40pm and 9.50pm on 18 January.
- A burglary in Dalmeny Avenue, Margate between 9.40pm and 9.50pm on 19 January.
- A burglary between midnight on 1 January and 7.15pm on 19 January in Kingsgate Avenue, Broadstairs.
Anyone with information about the reported burglaries can call Kent Police on 01843 222289quoting ZY/2489/17.